Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bravery

In the last year or so the word "brave" has taken on new meanings for me.  I used to think that in order to be brave, you had to be a warrior or go up against some huge and well-known adversary.  I certainly didn't think that housewives could ever be able to call themselves brave or that they would ever have to.  My mind has changed now.

A quote comes to mind:

"I've been terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do."
-Georgia O'Keeffe

It's exactly how I feel.  And if I REALLY really think about it, there's nothing to be afraid of.  There's no such thing as monsters, no one is going to come in the night and take my family away, I have everything I could ever need and want.  But still, I feel a little afraid of this new adventure.  I feel lots of things all at once - excited, anxious, afraid, unsure, completely sure, free, and on and on.  And I guess this is where the brave part comes in.  Brave means doing what you're afraid to do...not NOT being afraid, but doing it anyway.  Putting 'one foot' in front of the other, which I'm proud to say we're doing...buying a trailer, selling our stuff.  Those were big steps...fun and scary steps, but we took them.  We are on our way...ready or not.

The funny part is really...there is nothing to be afraid of.  I KNOW that...I just don't FEEL it yet.  I know I will soon.  The more we get things arranged and settled the better I'll feel.  Change always takes a little getting used to, right?  I'm going to say yes...because I'm going to need a little time.  Just a little.

Wanna know the MOST ridiculous part?  The most ridiculous part is that the biggest problem I can't solve in my mind is where we are going to put our dirty clothes in this trailer.  And really?  If that's the biggest thing I have to worry about, I should be counting my blessings.

1 comment:

cortney said...

Hi Kallie, I'm Cortney & we'll meet soon at Brave Girls. I'm really enjoying your blog; you are writing your heart out!! And I'm thrilled for your adventure, and all the amazing sites you're going to see, and people you're going to meet. I think you need to find/make a couple of really cute fabric laundry bags that you can hang from a hook, and carry proudly into a laundromat (if you need to). If I were setting off on an adventure, I'd be dreaming of collecting things from each stop. I'd take 1000s of photos. I'd map out crazy places to visit (largest bale of hay, America's most giant bagel, etc). Can't wait to meet you!
Cortney

Post a Comment