Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home for SO many reasons. :)  We got the trailer back to my mom and dad's house last night (story to follow), and tonight are finally home in Utah.  I am very glad not to have any long road trips to go on in the next days (or hours) like we have had for the past 3 days.  I feel like I have been in the car for 72 hours straight!

Towing our trailer home was more than a little surreal.  I will admit that as we were leaving the little town of Jerome - 5th wheel in tow - I had a weird, out-of-body, 'am I dreaming?' moment.  I was looking at the trailer and it was like I suddenly woke up from a dream and thought, "did we seriously just buy a 5th wheel to live in?" ... "did we seriously just do exactly what we said we were going to do?" ...And for a minute all my second thoughts and doubts and feelings like that came rushing back.  Luckily though I didn't feel well at all, so I didn't have time to dwell on that, I was too busy trying to figure out how to make my tissues last the entire trip home (at this point I had Jackson's full-on cold), and I was focused on getting comfortable in that tiny seat in the 2nd row seat of grandpa's truck.  Mahone was comfortable....lucky.

I am on the mend now, and I still don't know if I quite believe that we are really going to do this! :)

So the drive home was pretty interesting.  Grandpa thought it would be a good idea to take the old highway instead of taking the freeway, which he was probably right about.  It seemed like semi's were climbing all over us for the short time we were on the freeway.  It was windy the whole way, and seemed to get stronger the further we went.  It's easy to tell when a big gust of wind hits the side of a giant 5th wheel behind the truck you're in...the whole thing would rattle and shake and fishtail.  Grandpa looked like he was concentrating really hard, and I could tell he was worried.  But I wasn't worried.  I don't think there's anyone in the world a girl feels more safe with than her husband, her dad and her grandpa.  We found out later that we had driven through one of the worst wind-storms they'd had in a was all over the news even.  yipes.

Once again the drive took WAY longer than it normally would have, but the scenery was breath-taking.  You know....they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but looking around out there, you'd have to be crazy for it not to just make your heart sing.  I don't think there are many things in the world as pretty as the snake river valley....all farm land....during a spring rain storm.

We made it back, and got 'the king' all parked in its new home.  I went inside and took a hot hot shower, took some medicine and went to bed while Jeff went with grandpa to pick up our car and little Jackson.

We are pleased with our purchase.  There are things we want to improve cosmetically AND it rained like crazy last night, which was lucky because the leak that Mark said he didn't think had leaked for a while leaked a LOT right through the roof.  We were glad we were there for that, and that we hadn't left for Utah for a couple weeks, then come back to find the damage much worse than it could have been.  Jeff didn't waste any time, and got the leaky part covered up with a tarp, then got to work tearing out the ceiling in our bedroom to stop the damage from getting any worse.  We thought we would probably fix the ceiling anyway, just didn't think we'd have to get started on it so soon. :)

{yikes...I hadn't looked at this picture until looks much worse in the picture than it is in real life.}

Jeff went to the RV repair store (first trip of many over the next little while, I'm sure), but it turns out we need to wait until it's sunny and warm to fix it, and sunny/warm was not in the forecast.  So Jeff did what he could and we came home.  SO good to be here and SO good to know that we have a place to live in Idaho now.

No comments:

Post a Comment